it's creamyChicken and dumplings recipeIt's the ultimate comfort food! Fluffy, homemade dumplings in the tastiest chicken soup. Made from scratch in minutes!
- Homemade chicken and dumplings
- What types of dumplings are there?
- How to make soup dumplings from scratch
- soup ingredients
- How to make chicken soup and dumplings
- What makes this soup so creamy?
- This recipe is pure comfort food!
- Chicken and dumplings recipe
Homemade chicken and dumplings
If you're looking for an easy chicken and dumpling recipe, you've found it! Today I'm sharing all of my tips and tricks on how to make chicken and dumplings from scratch with minimal effort.
Don't be nervous if I tell you this recipe is from scratch. If you've always wanted to make cupcakes from scratch, you'll be glad to know that they're surprisingly easy and no-fuss to make!
Chicken and Dumplings is one of the best recipes on my site for a reason and I can't wait for you to try it! I promise you will love it as thousands of other people have given this recipe 5 stars over the years!
What types of dumplings are there?
There are 3 popular types of dumplings:
- dumplingsIt's dumplings made in a bowl that you take out and toss into the soup to cook. They are light and fluffy.
- rolled biscuitsThey're the kind of dumplings you get when you order chicken and dumplings from Cracker Barrel. They are a flat and dense dumpling.
- cookies cookiesThey are made from canned biscuits and are cut into quarters and added to the soup.
This recipe uses dumplings.Why? Well, when I started experimenting with different methods to make my own dumplings, these dumplings were a winner. They are very easy to prepare, quick to prepare and delicious! This recipe makes fluffy homemade dumplings that float on top of chicken soup.
Many years ago I made my chicken dumpling recipe using chilled canned cookies. If you are a big fan ofChicken and dumplings with biscuits, I also have the recipe on my website!
How to make soup dumplings from scratch
The first step in preparing chicken soup and dumplings is to make the dumplings. This homemade dumpling recipe is very easy. It takes 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand!
Your family will think you've worked hours on end making homemade muffins, so don't tell them our little secret.
Follow these simple steps to make soup dumplings:
- Mix the dry ingredients:Place the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, pepper, salt, and thyme) in a medium bowl and mix together.
- Add wet ingredients:Add the butter and milk, mix with a wooden spoon until a ball of dough forms.
- Bake dumplings:Using a cookie spoon, drop the dumplings into the boiling soup and let them cook! That's it!
If you've always wanted to learn how to make dumplings from scratch, this is definitely a great recipe to try because it's so easy!
Once you've made your dumplings, the rest of the ingredients for this soup are simple classics:
- Onion, carrot, celery and garlic
- Condensed Milk <- The Secret of Creamy Soup!
- chicken soup
- shredded cooked chicken
- Spices: thyme, salt and pepper
Some things are better when kept simple to let the flavor shine through, and I absolutely think chicken dumplings are one of those things.
However, I have onesecret ingredientThis is KEY to getting your chicken and dumplings creamy. From the list of ingredients above, can you guess what it is?condensed milk!
Compared to whole milk, evaporated milk is creamier, but not as thick as fresh cream (and much less thick, too).
PS If you can't eat dairy, I suggest trying this dairy-free onematzo soup🇧🇷 You even get dairy-free cupcakes!
How to make chicken soup and dumplings
Now that we've explained how to make dumplings and what ingredients go into this soup, here's how to put it all together:
- Fry the vegetables:In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to wilt. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add flour:Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in milk and broth:Add condensed milk and broth. Stir quickly to combine.
- Cooking and preparing dumplings:Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer and prepare your dumplings as above.
- Add dumplings to soup:Using a large cookie scoop, form the cookie dough into balls and place directly into the simmering soup. Place them along the edges of the pan, not all in the center. Press the dumplings lightly so that the soup drips over them.
- Cover and bring to a boil:Place a lid on the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Test the dumplings:Gently stir the soup. Take out one dumpling and cut it in half to make sure it's done.
- Serve:Once the dumplings are cooked, your soup is ready to eat. time to dig!
What makes this soup so creamy?
There are a few tricks for keeping chicken and dumplings creamy without adding canned condensed soup.
The first is using condensed milk, as mentioned above.
Second, and just as important, the base of the soup sauce is wheat flour and butter. You use the butter to sauté the vegetables, then add the flour and cook for a minute or two. The two combine to make a great soup sauce base - similar to how white country sauce is made.
The condensed milk + gravy combine with the chicken broth to create an incredibly creamy soup!
This recipe is pure comfort food!
This homemade chicken dumpling recipe has been a hit with my family and friends for years, but I've never shared it on the blog.
It's not because I don't want to share my family recipe with you all, it's just that I usually make it when I feel like comfort food on a cold evening. And when I'm done, I don't want to worry about working and taking photos... I just want to dive in first!
But after the reaction to the videos I shared on Instagram Stories a few weeks ago of me making this chicken dumpling recipe, I knew I had to share the recipe ASAP.
Many of you made this soup within days of the recipe being posted and immediately started sending me photos and reviews. No kidding, over 25 people have messaged me and proclaimed that this is the BEST chicken and dumpling recipe EVER! Yahoo!!
It's now one of the most popular recipes on my site and you can read many of the comments below. I am so glad that you are all trying this recipe. Please share how this chicken dumpling recipe turns out for you. I can't wait to hear your opinion!
Chicken and dumplings recipe
This easy recipe for my family's favorite homemade homemade chicken and dumplings is packed with great fluffy dumplings made from scratch in just minutes!
installation time15 minutes
time to cook35 minutes
total time50 minutes
- 6 EL Butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons wheat flour
- 12 ounces (1 can) condensed milk
- 32 ounces (1 quart) chicken broth
- 4 Bagsshredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large, heavy saucepan (such as a Dutch oven), melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables wilt. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Boil 1 minute.
- Add condensed milk and chicken broth, stirring quickly to combine.
- Bring to a boil and add chicken, thyme, black pepper and salt. Let the soup cook uncovered while you prepare the dumplings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, pepper, salt, and thyme. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the milk and butter into the center.
- Stir with a wooden spoon (or rubber spatula) until a ball of dough forms. If your batter seems too dry, you can add an additional tablespoon of milk.
- Using a large cookie spoon**, scoop the batter and pour directly into the simmering soup. Place them around the pan, not all in the same place.
- After adding all the dumplings, press them down lightly so the soup just runs over them.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat down a little to a gentle simmer (you don't want the bottom of the soup to burn, but you also want the soup to still be simmering to cook the dumplings).
- Cook for 15 minutes, gently stir the soup/dumplings and cut one dumpling in half to ensure they are cooked through.
- When the dumplings are done, serve hot! If not, cook another 2-3 minutes and check again.
*For more cookies, you can use a medium cookie scoop instead of a large cookie scoop. Start checking to see if they're done after about 10 minutes.
I am an Amazon affiliate member and earn a small percentage of qualifying purchases. Thanks!
Amount per serving:Calories:731Total Fat:39gSaturated Fatty Acids:20gTransfette:1gunsaturated fat:17gCholesterol:162mgSodium:1096 mgCarbohydrates:57gPhases:3gZucker:14gProtein:37g
- dinner ideas
- family recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. read myconfidentiality policy.
Easy chicken and dumplings with biscuits
Chicken and pot dumplings
Southern Chicken and Biscuits(Video) Mama's Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
Easy Potstickers Recipe (Chinese Dumplings)